Tuesday, November 7, 2017

"Noch ein Bier, bitte!" ~ Another beer please!

As I settle down to write, there are the first light flurries of season in the air. With day light savings time, and now this, I guess that winter is underway. 

I am busy making bread, beginning new knitting projects, and working in my studio - what a delight! As the events of the world and our country swirl around me, I am finding peace where and when I can.

Not too long ago, we had another BITE gathering at Ellen's. Our theme was Oktoberfest, and as always, the food was delicious!


We began with Clare's "Easy Oktoberfest Crescent Wrapped Bratwurst Bites with Sauerkraut Dipping Sauce" (all recipes at the end of blog). Honestly, Clare's appetizer could have been right out of a cover-shoot. Absolutely perfect! And absolutely delicious!

We paired our appetizer and dinner with a selection German beer and wine. I chose one of the beers, I don't remember which, but it was so good.


On to dinner and a table festively set for the occasion!


For our side-dish, Chris made a German potato salad reminiscent of her childhood. She admitted that she didn't care for the salad from her memory, but she tweaked the recipe a bit and used a sweet balsamic vinegar, and a lot more bacon (yay!).  I admit to never having been much of a German potato salad fan, but I loved this!



For our main dish, Ellen prepared Wienerschnitzel, though she used pork rather than veal. It was wonderful, and oh so tender!



Lastly, I prepared our desserts. Due to some scheduling concerns, I opted to do something that could be prepared a day or two ahead. Thus, cookies. Up first were German Cinnamon Cookies for Holidays and Christmas. What a new experience! All measurements for the recipe were in grams. I am a fan of the Great British Baking Show, and I marvel at their weighing of ingredients rather than using our measuring cups and spoons. Short of trying to find the scale that I use for soaping, I made equivalents as best I could. Also, the recipe called for a"a knife tip" of baking powder, which is exactly what I did. The directions said that if the batter was too sticky to roll out (mine was way too sticky), to add extra flour and sugar. I did this as well - several times - before I got a roll-able consistency. And, since I was adding more of that, I figured that I'd better add a bit more baking powder - so another knife tip went in. How these were going to turn out was a big question mark - but they were great!



The second cookie that I chose was Mandelhornchen  (Chocolate-dipped almond marzipan horns). How I do love marzipan. These were a bit of work, but worth it.  I included hot chocolate for dunking!


A wonderful meal with wonderful company. Next up - Poland!

All Recipes from October's BITE






No comments:

Post a Comment